Block chain not updating

NRS 1.3.6cg, Windows 8.1 Pro, 16GB RAM, i4770, 4 core, hyperthreading to 8 cores, 600 GB free RAM on primary hard drive, 1.3Mbps download ATT DSL/Uverse, Two Wire/Pace/ATT 5031-NV-030 router.

I’m a relative newbie to cyber currency. Heard about the recent Bitcoin run-up so got interested, but I can’t support anything so eco-unfriendly per Brad Cohen’s info. I decided to wait for his Chia in 2018. Then somehow I stumbled across your Burst-Coin link today which sounds similar to Cohen’s ideas…

No problems with your download and Qbundle wallet setup. I accepted default options including portable java. Took 36 minutes total to that point, iirc. Then I accepted the option to download one of the pre-exported block chains with >6 million transactions, latest 10/29/2017. That completed OK, then it automatically started updating the block chain…

That was several hours ago but I can see no signs of progress. I doubt anything is getting thru. No processor activity. No indication in the Wallet of any new data being imported. Trying to fix this… I opened the same incoming ports (pinholes) in router as were made for Windows Firewall. I’ve also tried restarting computer. Of course as a newbie I have absolutely no idea how long it should take, or what changes to look for in the wallet.

Any ideas? Could the block chain be corrupt and unrepairable? Would I be better off starting over from scratch and downloading the entire block chain rather than a pre-exported version? Gotta fish or cut bait on this fairly soon! I like the looks of your wallet or would’ve already tossed in the towel. Any ideas?

Thanks.

1 Like

Sorry, pulling the plug, not ready for prime time…

1 Like

Downloading the block chain from the genesis block takes about 1-2 days on a average setup ish.

@johnnybob
Your machine is suffient for burst without any problem.

Yea, Chia is almost exactly the same as burst but as he has said. it will only contain a mimic of bitcoin for startes, when it comes to functionality.

Qbundle is a wrapper for the core wallet (NRS) and other tools. It’s intention is for a user to give a easy experience.

So, now to your problem. i would like you to post the info found in “edit -> View console” in qbundle. If you have stopped the wallet and closed it down you can also find it in the nxt.log file on same folder. This will give you a hint of what might have gone wrong.

@jaxblack Yes, syncing the chain from scratch will take about 24-48 hours depending on computer if using CPU. when using ocl you could get it down to about 3-4 hours with current wallet and having about 10Mbit in speed.

I’m on my 3rd install try. My hunch is H2 db caused the hang on 1st try . Found an exception in burst.trace.db, so am trying Firebird db. I also uninstalled an old 32-bit java which might’ve interfered(?). Otherwise the same except the pinholes are open in ATT router [don’t know if that helps, would require another test install].

Firebird DB started downloading transactions OK from scratch on 2nd try. So decided to abort and try the Cryptoguru repository to get first 6426945 transactions ending circa Oct 27 2017 then hope it continues with sync rather than hanging. So far so good, but even that’s slow. I’ll have to let it run overnight to finish.

Wonder if you guys are using best compression? 7-zip (.7z) with 1G dictionary size is the best I’ve found. Also I’d be inclined to start a torrent for such a large download & wide distribution. I can burn to a DVD for local distribution to friends.

Going, but intolerably slow, less than 30% of the Firebird db downloaded so far. I had to kill the process, otherwise refused to stop. A faster easier setup is needed, also a simpler proof. There should be a statistical proof sufficient by tunneling a ways in all directions, maybe keyed somewhat to amount of transaction. It shouldn’t become more difficult/bulky with age, and mining needs to be killed. I’d be very interested in looking at a complete zen diagram of current proof if available. Thanks.

If your blockchain stucks or corrupted, you have to pop up some blocks, (wallet config -->open nxt-default.properties --> nxt.enableDebugAPI=true (default false), restart wallet, then open the NXT-Api localhost:8124/test or 127.0.0.1:8124/test --> go to debug --> pop off --> ~ 10 - 100 blocks until in runs again.). If this doesnt help, there was a problem in your RAM with Java, it makes the blockchain corrupted, then you have to download newest blockchain, I hosted website for it. BurstNeon Block Catcher. lovely regards

You do not need to reinstall every try. If you want to restart you could just delete the files in the burst_db folder while the wallet is turned off. You mentioned above that Qbundle downloaded java. This is because you had the 32 bit installed so it could not detect it to run in 64bit mode. If Qbundle is set to use portable java then it will use the one that is downloaded and not the one installed. They will not interfear. I assume that you mean ports with the word “pinhole”. This is not required to get it working but is good for burst network.

The firebird db is the most slow of the options but it will also leave the least footprint. A full chain will fit in about 4GB as of time writing. A H2 db can grow to 20 if not compacted.

When it comes to compression. The .bbd files you download from repository is compressed with zip. The chain there is about 1Gb in size. This is the same file format as if you choose export database.

Sadly, syncing chain is not not optimal in burst. This has a lot to do with algorithms used (Shabal256) this is very slow on CPU. The only way today to speed up the sync is to use a graphic card that supports Open CL. If this is turned on but you still have a low synctime you need to decrease the value of oclHashesPerEnqueue to about 100 or even 10 in some cases. This value is found in the config file nxt-default.properties within the conf folder. You need to restart wallet after this setting is made.

Thanks for trying, but nothing works right for me. Time to call it quits… Good bye

Sorry, brain overload, got some zzzzzz’s…

Please understand that I have no prior experience with cryptocurrencies or related software. I have never owned a Bitcoin or any other. Tried several Bitcoin setups recently but couldn’t get past the ID stage because I don’t have a cellphone so can’t text (don’t want one, but that’s another story). Didn’t like that idea anyway, had heard Bitcoins were anonymous but the opposite seems true. Managed to get an offline Electrum wallet if needed in future(?). Could hardly believe my eyes when Coinmama asked me to do a selfie holding up my driver’s license with a sign hung around my neck with her name and the date handwritten. Wow! How desperate can one get with gold fever? This has been an educational week!

Appreciated the offer of a neonBurst download, which alas I couldn’t get to work. Maybe wrong db for anything except H2 db(?). I decided to use Firestone.db apparently the most compact available. Also lack confidence that any of the exports will work on my system, so am doing it the hard way = download the entire block chain, 1 transaction at a time!? Coming through at about 2-3 transactions per second, will take awhile to get all half million. If I actually get the whole thing, will consider starting a torrent or burning to DVDs for Xmas presents this year. :slight_smile:

It would be nice if some of the details, unknown to newbie, were explained briefly in advance. Landing on the site pushes to download wallet immediately, leading only to frustration in my case. A bit slower approach would work better, nice graphics but… The 4 db options offered require flipping a coin. I also kept my coin handy when selecting this forum vs the other 3 offered!? And what about those acronyms? ‘cg’, ‘NRS’, ‘nxt’, ‘Maria’ The unknowns here seem to come in sets of four. Best way might be to provide some tool tip popups in wallet and/or a Help section. Cram as much info as possible into each screen-view is best way, or some scrolling is acceptable.

The trick to start block chain download is apparently to open Edit>Settings and click OK at bottom, otherwise I might sit here and get blue in the face til Xmas hoping it will start. :wink: Maybe that was the cause of H2 db failing to update too(?), the reason I started this thread in the first place?! Looks like something essential might have been left out of the coding for my W8.1 op system, maybe a permission override or some such. Sometimes block chain starts downloading on its own, sometimes it appears dead in the water, cause unknown. There’s a delay of variable length so that’s not always easy to determine. How about little green & red lights to show whether it’s downloading? I’m sort of coming to expect that sort of thing off of github or sourceforge where the gurus mostly use Linux, it seems. Good stuff in general, world class of course, if you can figure it out. :head_bandage:

Don’t know if my GPU gets involved or not, have no way to monitor it, afaik. I have AIDA 64 and the usual W8 task manager/resource monitor. I suspect so, because I’m getting receive burst Ethernet rates up to about 5 Mbps which exceeds my normal ATT download limit of about 1.3 Mbps. However there is no heating of the diode or increase in GPU fan speed: GeForce GTX 645 2Gb 128-bit 10Gb/sec.

The limiting factor seems to be my 7200 rpm system hard drive which is averaging about 75% activity. I raised hyperthreads from 6 to 8 without any strain on this system which handles much more demanding tasks. I’ve got a spare internal hard drive to hook up when I get around to it, so it can percolate on its own. Also have an internal SSD that is used mostly for read-only stuff which I could activate, but doubt it’s needed after the entire block chain is downloaded.

Is it worthwhile? I still need a zen diagram of the proofs to decide. Seems to me the block chain could grow to unmanageable size soon.

First I must say that I value your input a lot. The whole idea with Qbundle is to try to make it as simple as possible for new users to get started and use the wallet on windows. I understand that this have failed for you since there have been to many confusing options like choise of database and such. I will rework this process in the future.
When it comes to acronyms this is something your will get more familiar with over time.
NRS = NXT Reference software. This will change in a near future to BRS. Burst Reference software.
Burstcoin is a project that was built from the NXT system. Cg = Cryptoguru, Cryptoguru have formed a Proof of Capacity consortium and have devoted themselves to development and evolvement of Burstcoin. Maria is a name of a database type used to store the blockchain in. Just like H2 and Firebird.

Currently if you get stuck or the wallet does not seem to sync you need to provide more technical information of what might have gone wrong. Info can be found in “Edit ->View Console” and in a file called nxt.log in the same directory. Please use that information when reporting problem to give a more accurate problem description.

When it comes to your GPU. I think it is not using the GPU for your machine if you are syncing with the rate of about 1block/second. If you want to try to make it work you should open the nxt-default.properties file found in conf directory. Find a value that sais nxt. oclHashesPerEnqueue=1000 and change it to about 100. Then restart the wallet. Be adviced that this will cause a much higher load on internet and disk. Especially if you are running on a non SSD disk.

1 Like

Per your suggestion I tried different numbers in nxt.default.properties / burst.oclHashesPerEnqueue=X, where X=1000 default, and took several 1 minute (/60 seconds) samples. Averages are shown at ~end.

nxt.properties +GPU (tried following the file’s directions, but might not work/stick?)
X=5000: 104/60, 136/60, 106/60, 118/60, 110/60, ~115/60
X=2000: 78/60, 122/60, 120/60, 110/60, 100/60, ~106/60
X=10: 119/60, 118/60, 100/60, 110/60, 131/00, ~116/60

default.nxt.properties +GPU (direct subtitution, as you suggested)
X=5000: (wouldn’t start within 10 minutes)
X=1500: (drive flatlined @100%, OK after defrag) 108/61, 126/60, 127/60, 150/60, 157/60, ~134/60
X=1000: 130/60, 128/60, 100/60, 99/60, 114/60, ~115/60
X=500: 118/60 109/60 114/60 119/60 105/60 ~113/60
X=100: 92/60 100/60 109/60 99/60 80/60 ~96/60

default.nxt.properties -GPU
X=30000: (drive flatlined @100%) 112/60
X=3000: (drive flatlined @100%) 150/60
X=2000*: (drive & CPU started @100%, then OK) 130/60, 150/100, 174/60, 160/60, 180/60, ~159/60

*Looks like the last test with X=2000 without GPU might be my lucky number. I’m letting it run. Going OK so far and may be speeding up. No problem with CPU or drive. Just went over 117,000 with a test of ca 200 blocks/minute.

Theese numbers are still small. If you are using Qbundle please ensure that Edit ->Settings->Wallet->Try to use graphic card to offload cpu during sunc event. Is ticked.

Or in default properties file make sure .oclVerify=true is set.

There is no GPU involvement. I found a free GPU monitor to confirm it. You suggested settings have zero effect re GPU.

It was going fairly well then started slowing down in the Feb’2017 block downloads, to 5-10 blocks/min, now to only 1-2 blocks in early Mar’2017. Too slow to ever complete so I pulled the plug.

If it were an ordinary torrent with utorrent, I might be able to diagnose and maybe fix it. Your automatic settings must be faulty for my system. It’s like I’m being overloaded with more data than my system can manage. A sure sign of a slowdown is when my hard drive flatlines with 100% usage. In that case all throughput may stop.

My processor is scarcely being used, and the memory allocated is far less than available. I have 16 Gb RAM but haven’t yet seen more than 4 Gb used when running your software. (I know my RAM is OK because I have other software that makes good use of it.) It looks like my hard drive is the main bottleneck which your software churns far too much.

Ok, Then then it might not be supported on your card if it does not work with HashesPerEnqueue=10.

March this year there was a big boost in transactions so that it syncs slower around that time is normal.

the only way to make more use of the CPU is to turn off the feature for ocl verification. Then it will utilize the cpu much more instead of trying with gpu. When it comes to ram it should not use more than 4GB. There is no need for more then about 2GB and can peeak to 4 at some rare occations. This is how much java was told to use and is not an error in anyway.

I’ve never encountered this question before. The ocl dll’s are there, I checked. I’ve done a little compiling and to get best results with i4770 requires special treatment, maybe a different compiler. One shoe doesn’t fit all. :wink:

I bought this machine because it’s an excellent number cruncher and handles hashes fine if enuf memory is used. Otherwise there’s too much hard drive churning, such as I’m seeing with your software. Try allocating 4-8-16 Gb of RAM, if available, or better yet make it a user option as some of my other software provides. I’m thinking about increasing my RAM to 32 Gb.

Well, I gave it a fair try anyway. Good luck. I’m outa here…

OpenCL Designed applications is to run a large number of short term lived applications in paralell. That does not go so well in hand with computing a large number of hashes of Shabal256 with 8193 itterations. If the process takes to long the kernel watchgaurd will kill the application in the card and you will get a fail resulting in low perfromance since you compute it partly on cpu instead.

For the ram bit. There is really no need for more ram in the NRS application. (wallet) allocating more ram will not get the wallet to run faster since the bottleneck are cpu/gpu at all time.

nxt.default.properties file was corrupt after many tests, so I replaced with an original copy and the db is downloading OK again. It should complete soon, then on to the next step. Here’s a pix of what I’m seeing…
mediafire dot com/view/0d92vy6u9rhx7bz/BURST3.png

I’ve got the wallet synced and updating. So what now? Apparently the wallet contains no help such as popup tooltips(?). Has perchance anyone produced a video for newbies explaining all the technicals? A complete Glossary would also be helpful. Stumbling around in wallet I only found one suggestion, head over the Exchange and buy some Assets, but this newbie needs a much better basic understanding first…

Would someone please point me to an explanation of the acronyms, numbers, format, & units in a block transaction? That appears at lower right quadrant of wallet Dashboard as Recent Blocks. Height, Date & time are fairly obvious; however I’m unfamiliar with:
units & format of Amount numbers, including significance of symbols (’+.) ?
Fee units, how calculated, and who pays/receives/collects it ?
"#" ?
TX ?

More details and columns appear if I click View More, jumps down to Blocks in left pane, please explain/define:
Generator ?
Payload ?
Base Target ?

After those are understood, I expect the following should be easy to deduce at top of Blocks screen:
Avg Amount Per Block ?
Avg Fee Per Block ?
Transactions Per Hour ?
Block Generation Time ?

At some point I’ll need definitions of items in left pane list, except Dashboard and Blocks are fairly obvious already:
Transactions ?
Asset Exchange ?
Crowdfunding ?
Marketplace ?
My Store ?
Contacts ?
Messages ?
Aliases ?

Finally I’ll have to play around with all the menu operations and those little undefined tool icons at top right of wallet. Not a simple task but am warming to it a bit. :slight_smile: Please tell me in advance if anything is hidden from view, unless I get lucky and happen to hover over the hot spot at the appropriate time?!

I’m also curious if you recommend a particular source for the current/realtime price of Burst-coin? If I google it, they refer to several 3rd party sources. However Bitcoin gets a direct quote from Google…

Thx.

Hi,

It seems with all theese questions your are not familiar with blockhain tehchnology itself
This is a great video is about blockhain in bitcoin but theory is same in burst and will get you started:

For some acronyms and how burst blockchain works you can take a look at theese informative texts

This will probably reduce the questions you have

2 Likes