Disk for mining

sorry if this is too basic a question. what sort of disks better suited for burst mining? Generally SSD drives and flash dirves are much smaller in size compared to old traditional hard drives. Does the network take into account the sort of hard drives one uses for mining and reward accordingly depends on the speed of the drive? of course traditional drives can be huge in capacity.

Im just wondering if i could mine burst on the SSD on my laptop… not really looking to be profitable immediately but I expect Burst to go up in price significantly.

thanks in advance.

Lei
ps. Im still waiting for my wallet to get activated. if anyone could help by sending me a burst I would be grateful. BURST-ZMS6-XD62-RWMF-GT95C

I’m quite new to Burst mining myself, but I quickly learned that ssd is not the disc you should use for mining. You need capacity and lots of it. I found that 250gb was insufficient to get any rewards in 2 days mining, let alone the 20 coins needed for payout from my pool. I added 2TB external drive and started getting some. It looks like 20 coins in about 3 weeks.
Today I am adding a 10TB internal drive. This should make a sensible difference. The style of drive to seek is one that is designed to be always running. My 10TB is a NAS seagate, but I think WD Red is same deal. This is anticipated to be always active.
The SSD can be used to speed up the plotting process with the gpu plotter but your plot files will be no larger than the ssd free space when plotting. Fewer larger files are reportedly better, so I’ll probably not use mine for plotting the 10TB drive.
Good luck.

1 Like

but these old large internal drives will be phased out of production in the future. what then to use for mining?
I suppose I won’t be mining given all the trouble, far better to just purchase and hold.
thank you for replying.

What sort of time should we be aiming for to scan all plot files? I’ve read about 1 minute elsewhere. Is there any benefit to a faster scan time? If not then it seems that more, smaller drives might be better because they can be scanned in parallel (and the cost per gigabyte is lower than 12TB drives) at the cost of slightly higher power consumption for more drives.

My take on this is that as long as you can scan the files within the new block time then your found deadline will count and that is about 4 minutes.
Some miners have 100TB which must take more time than a miner with 1TB and the 100TB miner is way more likely to earn a reward.

The goal should br to scan all in ~45s I can scan 630tb in 40s across 7 servers

I have only about 100gb ssd harddrive space available for mining on a spare laptop. How many burst can I expect to mine? Maybe there’s little point in attempting it.

~.8 burst per tb per day

The beauty of it is that as those drives are phased out you can pick them up used at very little cost.

1 Like

That’s exactly how I got my 10TB NAS drive.

1 Like