Does nonces start over on a second disk?

I recently plotted my first hard-drive. 4TB, ended up with 4 plots.

I used plotter application and went from 0 til 10000(something) and then 10000 to 20000 (to illustrate) and so on…

On my second hard-drive, do I need to continue from where I left off the first drive? Or do I start at 0, like 0 to 10000 again?

If the latter, what was the end of the last plot? Since the plotter application user 0 as the argument to “fill the drive”.

You need to start the second disk at Last start nonce + last number of nonces, or higher

if you are unsure just look at the file name

It shows your id number_Starting nonce number_number of nonces_number of nonces

so if this was the example of the last one, my next starting nonce number for plotting would be 603000000+30519296+1
=633519297

Number of nonces twice? Start_length_length? Maybe total length?

i’m not sure what the question is, the reason it says number of nonce’s twice is too show it is optimized

Ah, I did not know that! :slight_smile:

But in reality I could define any range of nonces on my hard drive? Do I even have to start at 0? Like

100-200, 999-50000 (would be messy to keep an order to, but still valid?)

I just need to make sure I don’t have duplicate range like 0-100 on the same or even different drives

As long as they don’t overlap, you can use any ranges you feel like

Logical :slight_smile:

Lastly; I know small plot size is good for start mining faster because if you plot the whole disk you have to wait until the plot is done to start mining with it…

But is there a benefit from having big plots in any way?

A single optimized plot will be mined faster than multiple smaller files.

How fast, in the ballpark? 4x 2gb vs 1x 8gb? Twice or slightly? 17mb/s vs 50 zillion mb/s?

@BurstYoYo I’ve got 120TB spread across 21 drives on two computers.

The more heavily loaded PC has17 drives, 12 of them USB, with 74 plot files and comes in at about 112TB. It typically scans everything between 23 to 27 seconds.

The second PC with 8TB scans in 3 seconds, but it has all internal 7200 RPM drives and no USB units.

I would have plotted with fewer files, but I had issues when trying to create the big 8TB files.

Not sure how much faster scanning would be with fewer big files, but I am happy with my rigs performance so far.

It’s not going to be a very significant number, but with an optimized plot all nonce X are together and can be sequentially read. With a non-optimized plot, being mined in parallel, you seek to file 1, read some nonces, seek to file 2, read some nonces … seek back to file 1 and continue on from where you left off