Probably returning to Burst

Good Evening gentle people,

After a period of completly nothing going on in the mining facility, even breaking down and selling some of my Disks i’m now planning on my return in the digital dustof mining… :slight_smile:

I completly setting up my miner from scratch.
Today I got about 70 TB back online (localy) and an other 20 TB comming up.

Still need to reavaluate my disk strategie on Disk reconision (in case of failure) and plot the living Sh*t out of them :rofl:.

So… don’t hold your breath now but beasured 2020 Will be very exciting to be into Crypto! (not just becource I will be back but in general)

Oh… by the way… Be aware of faulty Chinese Pluggeble power cables for multiple HHD.
I just have blow 4!!! 4 TB Disks…yes actual smoke comming of them…

Welcome back!

Thanks Ryan,
Glad to be back in a short while…
Drained a Faucet, setup the pool, and had a first Test run on 4TB…

Flawless.:innocent:

When all works out the way I want… I’ll have my first batch of 70TB ready soon…
Still buying SAS drives though SO it could be +/- 100TB by the time they are all plotted

Initial Setup… I5 6600 4 core…on a B250 mining board with only 1 PCI slot and 12 USB type extender Slots (perfect for mining) but slow on plotting.
I have 70 TB connected right now, combination of SATA and SAS.(mainly SAS) Disks All 4 TB or bigger
Not running drive letters but connected drives to emty folders.
SSD for OS Bloatware free Windows 10
SSD for Plotting and Diskfolder setup.
All Disks highly administrated for problem solving in the future

In need for fisical disk reconition hardware/Software. Anyone got a lead?

If you are still adding drives, you may want to check out turboplotter if you are not using it already.

https://blackpawn.com/tp/

I do use Turbo Plotter…It normaly is rather fast…:nerd_face::icon_blue:

1 Like

Hey ho wellll… that did not go as planned…
Imagine this…I got 80 TB of disk space laying arround…SAS and SATA …
That is about 1000 bucks or so in earth like currency…
Only one 2 dollar China Cable… Blew 4 SATA disks, one SATA controller… and probably 1 PCI e Lane…

Next to that…the SAS disk nearly half of them are starting to show there age…(about 4 years)

I’m down from 80 TB to a 52 TB this morning to a meager 36 TB right now… and still disks are falling like flies…It is a war zone in my Crypto basement…

One Bright light… just go a new 8TB disk in today witch is now plotting…
Probably will leave the currently used Mainboard and hook up my other Mainboard…Use an other SAS card, and an other SATA Controller and start adding disks one by one again…making a list who naughty and nice…(to get in the spirit of December)

IMG_20191116_140649
A small part of the damaged disks…See the black spot on the board?

On the bright side… now mining a test run with about 36 TB
Lets see what happens…
I’ll probably will buy more invest more in the utch economy this year to get to my starting target of 80 TB online

WOW, i have never seen a failure rate like that on proven working disks. I tested scrap drives for quite some time, and only had one do that out of thousands.

I might have found a disk repair tool.
I hoop to be able to repair some of the older disks

The blown disks are as dead as the Dodo…I even swapt the PCB on the back for a working one to no avail.
It is a bummer. On the bright side… the windows logs are as good as empty, no more Disk failiors, No more Controller failiors… The machine is now running it’s first 24 hour live tests.
I hope this is a thing of the past, and will connect another 8TB on monday.

After that I will try to repair old disks and have them running somewhat isolated from the rest at first…
I will keep posting overhere…

But… ALPHADELTA is as good as back in the game…this time way more power efficient then ever before.

2 Likes

Please tell me at what price and where you buy discs.
I searched on Amazon and aliexpress, but the price of used disks is the same as the new ones in my city.

Hi Priboi2009,

Buying disk can by a job on it self. I ussaly search for Refubisched “new” disks, Forget internal disks, only external since they are cheaper…(I break them open and install them as internals)
Refurbished get me an other 10/20 bucks of the new price…

I don’t know where you live But my search extents the whole of Europe but shipment must be included in the price…

I just bought 8TB for € 140,-- Euro (about 158 US dollars) Not cheap but better then € 180,-- euro new (About 200,-- us dollars)

I worked with Second hand disks, some still run perfect others are defunk…so mixed feelings about that.

Since Hard disk are the busnizz end of your BURST endevour…

TIP1:
Make sure not to use more then 4 USB disks… (Search time gets really low)
TIP 2.
8 Channel SATA controllers are way cheaper then SAS controller set-up but in the end also slower.
TIP 3.
SAS controllers need a fan. (IT is wise to fan cool SATA controllers aswel)
TIP 4.
You can have way more drives then the usual 24 drive letters!
TIP 5.
If using SATA controllers make sure to use the same make, model, and type.
TIP6. Check your Chinese cables / Voltages before hook-up and switching on HDD’s (I blew up several of perfectly fine disks using a faulty SATA power cable)

Good luck sourcing disks~

2 Likes

Welll I’ve mined the first 100 burst. Running 46 TB.
The Set-up is now running problem free so I got myself a really good base line.
Every change leading to faults are now easy reverseble.

Got a few older disks to ad, and test, so not holding my breath…

2 Likes

46 TB, you are lucky. I have 13 old 500GB SATA drives. Effective сapacity 5.5 TB.
The drives are connected to 3 ATX motherboards. Soon I will get another 7-10 500GB SATA disks.
I will not collect such capacity HDD, you are really cool=)

1 Like

O thank you very much…

I made a simple calcullation…
1 disk (big or small) uses aprox 5 / 9 watt…
So the cost per GB is so much better with a TB disks.

SO If you can… always source TB disks…even the smaller 1 and 2 TB disks have a better cost per GB.
And secondhand they are very cost efficient, and yopu can buy then from 20 euro to 50 euro…

Where are you from? maybe I can be of assistance…

1 Like

Thank you for the offer of help, but I live in Russia and the delivery of even a small parcel will be expensive.
I’m just curious to support the Burst blockchain. No matter how many coins I get for this.
Of course I want to connect more TB, but I do not have money for it =).
So this is my little hobby, and you have a big hobby:D.
Good luck^^

@priboi2009 You can support Burst a lot of different ways! Check this reddit post -

Also, there is a program run by the Burst Marketing Fund where you get Burst coin rewards from running a full node! This even helps the project more than mining, and probably would make your more coins! See this post to learn how -

1 Like