Shane's Newbie Intro & Request

Hello All,

The name is Shane, and I am new to mining on all fronts. Having worked in IT and Telecommunications for many moons, I have quite a few old computers and HDD’s laying around. About a month ago, I got the bright idea to put these old machines to work mining. Burst is an awesome concept and seems to be the best way to put my junk computers’ HDDs to work without having to invest heavily in high end GPUs… so here I am, learning as I go.

Of course I work for a living, but in my spare time I breed, raise, train, and show Olde English Bulldogges. I think it would be great to have a mining operation lucrative enough to expand my kennel and even do some rescue and rehomes.

So there you have it. If anyone here would like to help fund or get my operation(s) off the ground, you could kindly donate to:

BURST-XE9V-YFL9-WM88-A4Q6M

I believe in paying kindness forward, so hopefully in the future I will be able to help and/or donate as well :slight_smile:

Hey @Shane78, welcome! That’s great that you’re putting old hardware to good use. I would advise possibly not using anything less than 500GB drives, though. Returns I believe are about 1 coin per TB per day on average over time (and constantly decreasing). However, the machines themselves…I use old machines for mining as there is no reason to use brand new expensive ones. Good luck with your adventure!

Oh, btw I am sending a coin over to get your started :slight_smile:

If you are still getting the wallet set up, or are still syncing up with the network, you can use the online wallet here: https://wallet.burst.cryptoguru.org:8125/index.html

Read the information below carefully, because this is the only coin I’m sending you :slight_smile: With the amount of coins I am giving out daily now, I’m trying to get people to conserve coins when starting off so I can help out more people. If possible, please help out any new person needing a coin. Donations are also welcome to help me start new people off :slight_smile: BURST-FFLQ-3QZJ-267R-F3QBX

---- Getting Started Read Below Before Continuing ----

Contrary to what most of the getting started guides say, you only need to create one transaction to “activate” your wallet. Changing your reward recipient to a pool for mining gets this done. Please read this post regarding activating your account - What It Means To Create Your Public Key (AKA “Activate” Your Account) - Simply Explained

I highly recommend https://0-100-pool.burst.cryptoguru.org/ and http://www.burstneon.com/ pools for new miners with under 24TB!

Thanks Again Ryan! It’ll be later this evening before I get to work with my wallet again (currently logged on from work, researching). Before I even touch it, I plan read this info at least 6 more times lol!!

Alright something silly just happened. I did what the tutorial told me in setting up my reward recipient. I got an error message that said it did not succeed, yet it took my coin. Is this normal? As you can see, there is an error when I start the miner, but it only happened once.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated any further coins will be repaid with interest.

So, I went and checked out your address on the explorer- BURST-XE9V-YFL9-WM88-A4Q6M

https://explore.burst.cryptoguru.org/account/9913200080414748923

Then I checked your address on the 0-100 pool.

Everything seems fine. I can only imagine that you jumped in before your reward recipient change confirmed (4 blocks)…or did you find another problem?

Thanks a million Ryan!! I was suspicious for 2 reasons 1) when I changed the recipient, it slung an error message saying that my reward recipient change was unsuccessful. 2) I have yet to amass even a fraction of a Burst. (do they come in percentages like the other coins?) I am only running 1.3TB right now, (plotting more as we speak) so maybe so maybe I just need to be patient? 3) The only transactions are as follows…

Time to head to work where I will research and scour ebay for mining parts of all shapes forms and sizes!! Thanks again for checking my account. Hopefully I will be able to pay it fwd soon.

I don’t know why you got that error…but everything is set up correctly.

Since you have such a tiny share of the pool’s mining power, you will be getting tiny fractions of the rewards it gets. There is a large daily variance, but long term average at the moment is 1 Burst per TB…once you build up your historical shares on the pool. Yes, you just have to be patient.

Those are the only transactions you should have. The pool will send you your Burst when you reach 100 pending, or you can read on their website what you have to do to change the minimum payout threshold.

You Sir, are a saint.

Thank you for your patience with me, and answering my questions. I have roughly 10-12TB just collecting dust that will be plotted and added over the next few days/weeks, so a bigger piece of the pie is coming. I will end up acquiring more as I am a magnet for junk electronics.

I guess the next challenge will be how to effectively stack several old laptop HDDs. Historically I have always just used HDDs for movie/music storage. Do you have any experience with docking hardware in this capacity? If so, is there specific docking station or config you recommend?

Docking hardware is quite expensive for what you get. I used to do a lot of hard drive testing, and the quality ones end up costing at least $30-50/slot, and the cheap Chinese ones fail too often. (and still aren’t worth the cost for trying to run some older 2.5 drives.)

I would just try to treat them as 3.5" drives plugged into regular sata ports…at least that is what I would try to do. Mount them where/when you can. If you have extra long cables, you can bring drives outside of chassis…

Strike that… I just peeked on ebay.

I would get one of these and see if it worked. I used USB 2.0 adapters for testing purposes, they worked ok and were dirt cheap. A powered usb 3.0 hub, and some of these might do the trick!

(I’m not specifically pushing this seller, please DYIR regarding who to buy from for your test purchase).

Great Idea. I have at least 2 extra 3.5 slots… So a cheap solution would be a mounting kit.

Otherwise, what are your thoughts on multiport usb adapters?