Should I plot 100% of disk?

Hello!

I have 1 disk (4tb standalone, just getting started here!). Should I plot 100% of the disk or ~98-99% for any reason?

100% is fine but I would plot it as 4 x 1TB or 2 x 2TB as it saves a lot of replotting time if something goes wrong in the plotting process.

Rich

Thank you for your insight!

I use xplotter, and so far have plotted around 30 8TB drives…never had an issue, and I can just stop it and restart when I need.

Yes good point, my suggestion is a bit of a throwback to when I plotted my drives when plotting and optimising were separate processes. Now that we have a program that does it in one go, and can be restarted then that’s probably easiest and best.

I’m looking at xplotter. What are “nonces”? :smiley:

From the github page:

-sn: Nonce to Start at.
-n: Number of Nonces to Plot.

What are they for my 4TB disk? I cant find any logic to it, does it use all space (what I want).

Okey, maybe I got this;

I used this tool I found and it states (after i input how much TB I got) that I have 15,257,600 nonces.

So the bat file for the xplotter should look like something like this if I split it up in 4 (???):

XPlotter_avx.exe -id -sn 0 -n 3814400 -t 4 -path F:\plots -mem 6G
XPlotter_avx.exe -id -sn 3814401 -n 7628801 -t 4 -path F:\plots -mem 6G
XPlotter_avx.exe -id -sn 7628802 -n 11443202 -t 4 -path F:\plots -mem 6G
XPlotter_avx.exe -id -sn 11443203 -n 15257600 -t 4 -path F:\plots -mem 6G

Yes the fact that somebody chose the term ‘nonce’ is unfortunate.

They’re the bits that do all the work though - each one is a potential solution to a possible problem, and the more nonces you’ve got, the better!

If it’s your first disk, starting nonce is zero.

You can set the number of nonces to zero as well with xplotter, and it will just fill the disk.

Please note if you need to restart xplotter for any reason, you’ll have to replace the “number of nonces” in the startup command with the actual nonce size of the plotfile (it’s shown in the file name) - otherwise it’ll just create another plotfile of zero length.

If you get any more disks, just use a starting nonce equal to or higher than the number of nonces you plotted last time.

So: disk 1 -> nonces 0 to 2000 (starting nonce 0, number of nonces 2000)

disk 2 -> nonces 2000 to 4000 (starting nonce 2000, number of nonces 2000)

Kind of, but the number of nonces should always be the same (3814400). It’s number of nonces, not ending nonce. Also, because you start at 0, and generate 3814400, then the starting nonce for the next run can be 3814400 - this won’t result in an overlap.

Plus the number of nonces depends on your stagger size I think. Not entirely sure what that is, but just look at the number of nonces you’ve got in your first generated plotfile and work from there.

For your final file, it probably won’t be exactly a quarter of the disk space, so just use zero as number of nonces and it’ll fill the remaining space.

Ah, missunderstood the length. Something like this then

XPlotter_avx.exe -id -sn 0 -n 3814400 -t 4 -path F:\plots -mem 6G
XPlotter_avx.exe -id -sn 3814400 -n 3814400 -t 4 -path F:\plots -mem 6G
XPlotter_avx.exe -id -sn 7628800 -n 3814400 -t 4 -path F:\plots -mem 6G
XPlotter_avx.exe -id -sn 11443200 -n 0 -t 4 -path F:\plots -mem 6G

That looks perfect - you might need to modify the number of nonces depending on exactly how many get generated in your first file, but I think you’re ready to plot. It takes ages and is really boring. Have fun!

Don’t forget, once you’ve plotted your first file, you can mine while you plot the rest.