Where can I get a simple 8-10 disk array?

Can anyone suggest an 8 to 10 external hard disk enclosure that supports USB 3.0 or 3.1?
It needs to support disks up to 8TB without RAID or spanning. Surprisingly, such a product seems to be very rare, with most of them forcing on the user spanning or RAID with no option for treating the disks independently. Often, disks that feature JBOD (just a bunch of disks) really mean spanning and not JBOD at all. For example the Mediasonic ProRaid H8R2-SU3S2 has no option for treating disk individually. And that means that small failures become big failures–no thanks. The ideal product would be the ORICO Aluminum 3.5 inch 10 bay SATA to USB3.0 Hard Drive Enclosure (1088USJ3) But it is not sold in the US and I’m weary of ordering something that is so expensive and yet impractical to return if it is defective. Any suggestions are welcome.

In the back of my head I’d been thinking to build my own enclosure using USB3-to-SATA adapters though it would be still only be half the price per bay as the Orico, which is prettier. I could probably make it smaller, and rack mount though.

there are full desktop pc towers that house 10 disks such as cooler master stackers and newer. Can make a much cheaper storage system than a file server because burst only reads plots its not reading and writing in a business environment. Recommend 10 gigabit LAN from that to another pc so then you simulate a file storage and head unit. (one concentrates on storage other concentrates on mining)
10 gigabit is cat 6e I think and are available at places like ebay. (I want to do 10gigabit system but I don’t have the capacity yet)

1 Like

That Orico is really slick.

You’ll probably have to make something yourself like gerald said. There just aren’t many products available for what you are wanting.

10 gigabit would be nice but it’s still really expensive. Depending on how many drives you have, it may be cheaper to bond multiple 1 gigabit adapters up to the bandwidth of the backplane in your switch.

1 Like

was thinking of using a net lan router and just have several systems with different account id’s …. you know … one for the money, two for the show, three get ready now go cat go …… lol

1 Like

Thanks for all the input. Although I like the idea of building my own rack, I really don’t have the time or space for it at the moment. Instead I decided to get one of these SISUN USB 3.0 5 bay Enclosure. Since it costs much less I can get more than one and stack them when ready. Also, I can send it back to Amazon if it ends up being DOA. Much more feasible than shipping something back to Shenzhen!

do u want a rack server… or desktop? I could give u some ideas…like what I am doing. I got a server box… and am adding 12 drives

I am using this server case right now for my initial computer. you can use the below drive holders to add 10 drives ether SATA or SAS. I use SAS enterprise drives exclusively… exos x 12 drives… if you compare other drives with less capacity… the price works out to be less by using larger drives if you are purchasing new drives.

Server Case for my computer…
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091IZ1ZG/ref=psdc_572238_t1_B008RS2O7O This server could easily hold 15 drives with no problem if you get 3 drive holders (which I show below).
There are other server cases already setup by Norco… I haven’t checked them out yet… but looking at them. In both 3 u and 4 u.
I am currently using used CPU’s which is best… and cheapest from ebay… duel 2699 Intel Xeon E5 ES (which is testing cpus). Now there around 1200$ each for a 22 core… I got 2 14 core CPUs when the price was 900$ ea. I turned on all my spare cores on each CPU…(which is an undocumented capability, these are extra unused cores on every cpu.) so I have double the cores operating… total 56 cores instead of 28.
I am using a duel core Gigabyte motherboard… mem up to over 1G. I think u can get them now with 10G networking ports. But not sure. (I will update this with my motherboard I choose later)

Server Rack Cabinet… this is the most elegant cabinet I love it. Its beautiful… although I am making some minor modifications to it. Adding air filtration to it… and sound proofing as my system is quite loud. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NNX68I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Drives I am using… https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759Q9FXZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I am using these drives… because failures is a problem with most drives. These are enterprise drives rated at 2.5 mil mean time hours between failures… and there pretty fast.

Drive holders which fit into my server case… https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HWJGEW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am running a 12GB/sec system and have 2 ports for drives on the motherboard which gives me 8 drives on SAS… and I will be using the other drives using a 12GB/s controller board… haven’t found one I will be using yet. But am looking.

Else there are several nice options for storage only cases with 12 and 24 drive options… where you build your own system. Which is what I will be doing in the future. This is a nice option if you aren’t interested in building expanding your server … use this for your storage… and run it to your first and possibly your second computer in a daisy chaining setup. Gives some room to expand. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAZGO4M/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Use what ever controller you want to go to the computer. But this does have one already… which I believe can be setup in a single drive setup using Windows to do it. Anyway this would give you up to 24 drives to develop a future system. Its what I will likely be doing.

Anyway… I can go into more detail if someone is interested.
Regards, Leslie

1 Like

The reason I didn’t use the drive enclosure you posted… as I thought I would be too flimsy… anyway using USB is too slow and prone to disconnection issues. I prefer to have all my drives hooked up directly… faster and more stable. I rarely reboot my system… sometimes I don’t have to in 6 months. And I like that. For a windows system that is pretty good. With regarding Plotting… I am getting up to 800mb/sec transfer speed to my 800Gb Ram drive… which really helps to speed plot times with Turbo plotter.

So anyway now I have room for 120tb on my computer. I am running 60 now. I am simply adding one or two new hhd per month as I have a little money. I will be building another computer soon… which I will use a 24 drive expansion case for storage. Which is plenty room for 2 computers to use, each using 12 drives. But I want to setup a pool first… if I can find someone who can help me with that.

1 Like

I know that USB is slower, however I’m using Ubuntu server 16.04 for plotting and mining. eSATA enclosures seem to require a port multiplier and I have found little evidence that it can be made to work reliably under Linux. I tried using this eSATA III 6Gbps PCI Express Two Lanes Host Adapter Card but it knocked out my ethernet. Don’t ask me to explain that because I don’t know why that would happen. But with that eSATA PCI card installed, the onboard LAN adaptor just stopped working. That’s doubly bad for me because I run headless, using only ssh from one of my Macs or a mobile device to administer the system remotely–so even just troubleshooting it was a real headache.
Although I would love a sweet rack mount setup like you’re using, I’m too poor for that kind of equipment right now. However I am actually very pleased with the quality of the SISUN USB 3.0 5 bay enclosure. It is sturdy and well made; far from being flimsy, and no random disconnects yet so I would recommend it.

1 Like